Thursday, July 16, 2009

The End Of An Era


Charlotte 'graduated' from middle school today. My baby girl, who was born when I was 'way-too-young' according to many, but who ( along with Rebecca ) was the
'best-thing-I-ever-did'
left Lower School, aged nine.
It's been a wonderful, interesting nine years with Charlotte.
Let me tell you about her.
She has the most beautiful heart. She asks questions. Lots of them. Her favourite questions are 'Why?' and 'What for?'
She has an incredible gift for Art, which must come from both her Dad and her Grandfather ( my Dad ) who was both an Art teacher (before he became jaded with high school and became a College Lecturer) and Artist, whose work actually appeared in galleries OnceUponATimeWayBackWhen. And whose stories, in manuscript form, are still unfinished and sat yellowing and waiting ( in a drawer in my Mum's wardrobe ) for a clever illustrator (the grandddaughter he never met? )to complete.
Is it Ok and not too crass and irritating to brag about your children and your long deceased Father ? I expect not.
Other-Peoples-Blogs are annoying enough without syrupy references to their marvellous offspring and/or forebears.
But I must continue...(forgive me )
Charlotte is rather brilliant with words.
She writes stories which radiate warmth and brilliance and eccentric charm.
And what's more,(and this is the proverbial cherry ) she is excellent at Mathematics and Science. (Maths bores me rigid but I feign enthusiasm at her Maths-Love because.. well... why exactly ? )
Lastly, and least importantly, but perhaps most significantly ( for all of the superficial world we inhabit ) she is beautiful. I am biased, but the world is cynical. And the world must agree that she is an exquisite beauty.
I am biased, but no mind. I am her Mother, so it's allowed.

No comments: