Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Beautiful Day

The sun is bright and my mood is too.
Rebecca is off school with a barking cough and two flushed marks on her cheeks from a slightly raised temperature. She's playing Animal Crossing on the Nintendo whilst I try to avoid doing anything useful. I know she's feeling better, but each time I ask she snaps back
`Nope`, obviously terrified that I might bundle her in the car, back to school !
There's nothing wrong with a duvet day, occasionally.
I need to clean the fridge, so why am I here again ?
Well, I logged onto the ( vaguely depressing ) job-centre website and discovered that there are a handful of jobs within a 5 mile radius, all paying about a fiver an hour. One of them requires a fork lift truck license, another requires different hours each week.. some weeks 35 hours, some weeks 15 !
I've applied for a couple of these `requires flexibility` roles, and it's shorthand for`must be under child bearing age, preferably 22 with no immediate plans to procreate.`
There are a couple of cleaning jobs, a couple of waitressing roles, a handful of shop jobs
( with very weird hours ) and quite a few fulltime jobs of 40 hours plus which would be wonderful if I didn't want the girls to be out for 10+ hours a day, ferried between costly breakfast and afterschool clubs. Where are the good part time roles for women? I've nothing against the use of wrap around daycare, but not on a daily or fulltime basis. The school day is long enough.
Ooooh look, there are midday assistant roles too,
shorthand for `dinner lady`, which would be a pleasant distraction from the housework, but a fiver for working one hour slap bang in the middle of the day is not much of an incentive.
Right. Mundane tasks await. The dishwasher needs to be emptied. The fridge needs to be cleaned. The floors need to be de-crumbed. The post needs to be shuffled around and ignored.
The youngest daughter needs to be paid some attention and more fat balls pushed into the bird feeder.

No comments: